Talking About Values in the Classroom
This unit enables pupils to develop skills in order to think and communicate about moral issues with stories. These resources help to develop three different kinds of moral thinking. It is aimed at Key Stage 2.
- A consideration of what it means to nurture children’s moral development
- A suggested methodology through which to discuss and analyse any morally rich story (whether fictional or a real life incident)
- One exemplar story and notes on how to structure its shared analysis
- Further discussion of the value of the ability to discuss morals and how children’s moral reasoning develops
- Two further stories for use in the same way.
You might also find the ‘All at Sea’ free resource helpful – it’s a story of fairness and the rule of law. All at Sea is an additional story resource that can be used in addition to the above unit, or it can be used separately.
More Classroom Toolkits resources
Assessment that involves pupils has a strong influence on their motivation and self-esteem, both of which have a profound effect on learning. To access this content, register for our free…
Pre and Post Assessment
This assessment method is suited for use before and after a longer group assignment. To access this content, register for our free School Subscription.
Teaching Controversial Issues
This training pack is a professional development programme for teachers, which is designed to support and promote the teaching...
More KS2 (ages 7-11) resources
Making a Difference From Home
Our packs support KS2 and KS3 pupils to plan and deliver their very own mini social action project. By the end of the pack they should feel empowered and positive…
In this lesson pupils will revisit their knowledge of human rights to consider situations in which people’s rights may appear in conflict with one another. Pupils will debate how they…
Belonging to Groups
This assembly asks children to think about the groups they belong to, and how groups can be used for good or bad. It includes ideas for demonstrating how we can…